Friday, August 11, 2017

Nicole Dominiak


Hello,
My name is Nicole, and over the coming months, I will be researching democracy in America (and Ancient Athens) at Senator Flake’s Phoenix office. Whatever your political persuasion, I think we can all agree that:
  1. It’s important that citizens play an active role in their democracy (Did you know you can contact your senators or even visit them? Probably.)
  2. A lot of citizens are less active than is ideal (Have you ever sent them an email? Probably not.)
So the moral of the story is:



The thing is, taking action can be difficult, especially when it comes to politics and our busy lives. So the goal of my SRP is to figure out why this is the case (big goal) by exploring political efficacy, but I hope to narrow down my search to a specific area in the upcoming weeks.
You’re probably asking yourself why a high school student would choose to spend her time reading interpretations on the Founding Fathers’ vision for America, books on Ancient Greek history, and then spend all this effort tying these concepts back to the Arizona political system. I think the easiest answer to this is: if you’ve met me, you’ll understand. If you haven’t, I think this blog will make my odd interests apparent soon enough.

()
(The list of things that makes me happy, among other things, includes parentheses, as you've probably already noted.)
Anyways, I love politics, political theory, and philosophy. So nothing would make me happier than taking the time to focus on my own community’s system of government and how Arizona citizens relate to it. Part of this love, I believe, came from visiting my grandparents in Washington DC (quite awkwardly, my grandmother was up in arms about government surveillance after the Snowden incident, while grandfather said nothing--because he worked for the NSA). Another part of this love comes from being a person who’s attracted to stories and narrative building, which plays a less obvious but (I think) more interesting role in politics.
Ultimately, I’d like to take all I’ve learned (in school and in life), veil it slightly, and become a novelist (“pah!” my mother says). But whatever I end up doing, I am here now, and I am excited for the upcoming months. So I hope you will join me on this journey to the dark, seedy underbelly of American government, where you might discover that politicians and their staff work harder than you assumed. not all conversations happen behind locked doors, and ultimately, it’s more well-lit than you thought.

20 comments:

  1. Hello Nicole! I think that your blog will be very profound in changing attitudes towards politics. I'm really excited to see what you learn about political efficacy and how to increase it. Also I think the story about your grandfather is really amusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. My grandparents are amusing (my grandmother was very happy once when she got arrested for disrupting the Senate).

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole, I'm excited to read your blog and learn more about political theory and philosophy. I think your investigation into political efficacy will bring to light some of the problems that people face in our country. What are some of the most prominent barriers to political participation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends what country you're looking at, but obviously in the US, political efficacy can be a problem, lack of trust in government, just not having enough time, etc.

      I hope I can give you a more detailed answer as the project progresses.

      Delete
  4. Wow, Nicole! It is evident from your post that you truly love politics and philosophy. At a time like the present, I think it is very important to take a better look at democracy, and your approach sounds fascinating. I'm really looking forward to seeing the direction you take in your project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think this project is going to be very interesting with the new administration coming in.

      Delete
  5. Hi Nicole! Your love for the political sphere is clearly evident in this post. I think it is amazing that you are identifying problems with our democracy system, and I know this research project will change many attitudes towards the American political system. It's very interesting how you are tying the modern political issues to historical political structures in Athens. I am interested to see what the final result of this project is; do you have any plans for a published demonstration of your research other than a presentation? I am excited to see your research in progress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nicole, your SRP interested me a lot, especially since I am in AP Comparative Government. I am looking forward to following your project through these next ten weeks. What will you do to "explore political efficacy" in either Arizona or the United States as a whole? I am curious about it because I find it somewhat difficult to measure the exact political efficacy of a state or country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's some controversy surrounding how closely political efficacy can be tied to voter turnout, but I think that could be a starting point. I realize it's a very difficult thing to measure because it is a feeling. I think, though, it would be easy to determine extremely low efficacy (a person does not vote, reports no faith in their government, states that their vote does not matter). I hope to tie this general feeling to something more concrete and measurable (perhaps bridging into economics). But we'll see.

      Delete
  7. Hello Nicole,
    this project seems important and educational especially in the modern age with all of the diffusion of free thought. You speak of Ancient Greece and philosophy relating to modern-day Arizona's government, and, therefore, I am curious to what extent that you think this analogy will follow through? Especially considering that Arizona is made up of a larger federal system, unlike Ancient Greece. Anyways, with your background choice, I am sure this project will revolutionize how I see the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mentioned in my SRP Proposal that there are limitations to my comparison due to the bias in the historical record of Greece, as well as the different sizes and different voting populations, and clearly all this will have to be addressed in the final presentation. I'll use Athens when I can (because I think Athens is fascinating), but it won't be the basis of my project.

      And ha! on the pun.

      Delete
  8. Hey Nicole,
    I am very interested in politics. I really like your senior research project. I am very curious about your analysis of political efficacy in Arizona. How does political efficacy effect voter turnout in Arizona?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about AZ in particular, but the general trend is people with higher political efficacy vote. But it can also be a two way street--people who are incentivized to vote (and do so), report feeling greater faith in their government.

      There's an interesting research paper linked here that goes more in depth than I ever could:
      https://www.princeton.edu/csdp/events/Shineman03142013Isolating/Shineman03142013Isolating.pdf

      Delete
  9. Hi Nicole!

    This is a very interesting topic, especially the part of comparing modern government to governments in history. It is a very cool idea comparing Ancient Athens and modern US. I really like your senior project research idea. I hope it will really help me comprehend government and politics in a modern context and a historical one.
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nicole,

    Your senior research project seems very interesting. I think researching both democracy in Athens and America will prove to be very insightful. I am also excited and curious to read about your discoveries regarding political efficacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sure this project is going to morph into another creature in the upcoming weeks, but hopefully by the end of it Athens and efficacy will both be in there somewhere.

      Delete
  11. Hello Nicole,

    This project interested me particularly due to my interest in the complex American political system. Are there any other major factors contributing to the the low political efficacy of voters in America other than busy lives? Also, in what ways (if any) do you plan to relate Ancient Greek society to modern American society?

    Thanks,

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anthony,

      There are many factors that contribute to low political efficacy. You probably know this already but there are two types: internal (the belief that you can participate in government) and external (the belief that government will respond). If a government quashes protests, fixes elections, or is just generally unresponsive to popular opinion, because at least external efficacy is tied with trust in government, all this will likely lead to lower levels of political efficacy among the general population.

      Delete
    2. I think that there are shared political values held by Athens and the United States--an opposition to tyranny is one. For my project, I think that I will be using Athens as a supplement, to provide historical context when necessary.

      Delete