Friday, April 14, 2017

This Is What Democracy Looks Like

I feel it's fitting to end this blog with some fireworks, but before I get to the town hall. . .



I'd like to broadly summarize my research findings. 

Citizens of rural Athens were less likely to participate in their democracy because of the distance they had to travel to get to the Assembly and the time (often days) they had to stop working in order to attend. 

I've spent the past week examining voting barriers for people in rural areas, especially Native Americans living on reservations, and I've found that geography (distance and isolation) play the same role in limiting political participation that they did in ancient Athens. Difficulty accessing polling places and difficulty with the postal system (which affects mail-in ballots) were all factors that played into participation in elections. 



So although you would assume that the transition between direct democracy (as seen in Athens) to a republic (as seen in the US), would require less direct participation from citizens and therefore perhaps downplay the importance of geography and geographic barriers, we can see that geography remains just as important as ever, a point that I saw underscored last night.

Opening at the town hall, the Senator asked if anyone had traveled over 200 miles to be there. Not many people raised their hand. I'm sure there were some who had traveled from the greater Phoenix area, but they were few and far between. I certainly think holding a town hall was important, but for those who argue teletown halls are cop-outs, I would like to point out two things:

1. Arizonans can tune in regardless of their location. The only requirement is that they have a phone.

2. Teletown halls can accommodate a lot more participants (over 10,000)



Anyways, for the town hall I showed up early and helped place the Constituent Action Forms on seats and then mainly got in the way for the next hour before they opened the doors at 6 PM. I was placed on "temporary" camera duty where I remained for the rest of the night. 


For the town hall itself, most of the questions were those constituents had asked over the phone regarding healthcare, the internet bill, the Gorsuch nomination, and Planned Parenthood. There were some questions about scientific research funding that I thought were interesting. 

The basic structure of the night went like this: a constituent would (often) thank the Senator for being there and give their question. People would hold up green cards and cheer. Senator Flake would begin to respond. People would hold up red cards and drown his response out with boos. 

So. . .


Regardless of whether people changed their minds or had productive conversations, I think the town hall occupies an important place symbolically. It is a point where constituents can speak face to face with their representative and where (at least in this town hall) that representative is his own mediator. The United States is a republic that has--for better or worse--fewer contact points between citizens and the laws that govern them. The town hall was a point of direct contact, and therefore I found the last line of the evening especially fitting: 

"This is what democracy looks like."


12 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole! It's great to see the direct connection between Athens and your research on modern voting patterns among Native Americans. Do you have any solutions that could help improve the voting behavior of Native Americans so they can have greater representation? Additionally, because it might be a difficult time commitment to attend or listen to an entire town hall meeting, are the records/key points from the meetings published elsewhere so that voters can still access the information? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly can't remember what I've put in my blog itself and comment responses, so if my answer is repetitive, I apologize. A solution would be too big a task to generate at this point--although I think that by looking at the problem, it makes it easier to identify factors that need to be addressed BY a solution.

      Because the town hall was mostly people shouting over one another, there is no specific log, but you can view the livestream here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jje2UejckY

      Delete
  2. Hi Nicole! I like the connection between Athens and the modern voting patterns of Native Americans in Arizona; It looks clear and effective. What other solutions are there that can improve the voting patterns of the Native Americans? I'm looking forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'm going to be looking for solutions specifically, but as I stated above: through my research I hope to make evident the factors that would need to be taken into account for a feasible solution.

      Delete
  3. Hi Nicole! Congratulations on finishing! I love the concrete connection between the two societies. It really brings you project together. Congrats on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't call this blog an accomplishment, but I'll take the undeserved congratulations regardless.

      Delete
  4. You've finally answered the question you set out to consider, albeit much more narrow in scope. It seems though that you have gained valuable insight from interning at Senator Flake's office, but is there anywhere else that you would rather explore this topic? Or, if you could do it all over again, would you focus your topic on some other point in politics?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I mentioned my frustration previously, but I was required to write my abstract before coming to Senator Flake's office because BASIS.ed wanted to publish them early. I had no idea what I would be doing. If I had, I would've focused on the media and perhaps the formation of narratives--where they begin, how they gain traction, etc--and how this impacts public opinion.

      But oh well. I sincerely enjoyed my internship, and that's what matters most of all.

      Delete
  5. Hey Nicole! Nice job on your project overall :) Your project has definitely inspired me. It was very interesting seeing and hearing about your internship with Jeff Flake. I also find it extremely interesting that you compared the voting patterns. I am very glad I followed your project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice! This internship was one of the most rewarding experiences of my senior year, and it was wonderful to have an opportunity like this. I hope, if nothing else, this blog has helped people to become more politically aware.

      Delete
  6. Hi Nicole, it was really interesting hearing about the comparisons between Athens and America, in political efficacy. Also for voting distance aren't there voting places set up so the entire population can have easy access to voting places?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! To answer your question: there are polling places set up so that voters have access to them, but this doesn't mean that access is easy. Greenlee County (which is pretty small, but still) has 5 polling places. Transportation can also be an issue, especially in rural counties, as well as finding appropriate staff to run the polling place.

      Delete