Friday, April 7, 2017

The Senate Goes Nuclear

This week, Senate Republicans voted to end the filibuster, Gorsuch will very likely have been confirmed by the time you read this, constituents are threatening me on both sides about the internet bill (SJ Res 34), and people still don't seem to care about foreign affairs unless Putin is mentioned.


In terms of my research, I've spent this week looking at voter statistics. For the last ten years (with the exception of 2014), the voter turnout for Apache County has been between 10-20% lower than that of Maricopa County. Additionally, two-thirds of those living in Apache County are members of the Navajo Nation, so I think that is the group I will focus on for my research. Focusing on a single tribe has helped me to single out specific statistics related to income, poverty rates, urban vs. rural living, and voting patterns. One thing I found interesting about the Navajo Nation was the significant number of its members under the age of 18 (I believe it is something like 30%).

In the upcoming week, I hope to finalize my research on ancient Athens and look more into rural voting patterns in the United States as a whole, as well as the factors that cause these patterns and hinder/lead to increased turnout. I am still debating whether to include a solution in my presentation because that would seem to be a monumental task, but at the same time, at this point, I feeling I am merely compiling information from different areas without contributing.

I'll let the research sit for a while, though. Last Friday night, I attended the Legislative Salute dinner, which included a certain Governor Ducey making jokes about state congresspeople who I didn't know.


But otherwise, it was nice!

I spent my Sunday at Pride (and wasted $20 on a ticket to the festival, where you essentially paid to enter a place where the normal price of any item was doubled--see the $7 pretzel). But I got a big flag and lots of free stuff, so I guess I didn't mind in the end. 


I'll close with a list of my four biggest pet peeves related to office calls:

1. When a person calls to say "I like Flake. He's a good guy, but John McCain really. . ." (the ellipses represent the 10 minutes I spend listening that person complain about another senator)

2. When people accuse me of lying about the call-log. 
Me: Ma'am, we log every call and the Senator looks over that log every night.
Them: I doubt that.
Me: [Awkwardly staring at call-log.]
Them: You still there? 

3. When people tell me the United States is becoming a third world country. (Thinks of Haiti. Thinks of United States. Sighs heavily for the ignorance of our nation.)

4. When people call to complain about Representative Flak. I don't know who Mr. Flak is. Please stop calling about him because this is not his office. 

18 comments:

  1. This was the best post ever! Real funny... but in all seriousness, it tells a lot about us humans :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does--I definitely talk to a lot of humans. I often wish I knew who they were, where they were calling from, etc., because I think it would be interesting to know their stories.

      Delete
  2. Looks like you've had your fair share of good and bad experiences. When it comes to the purpose of your SRP, I do not think that you should offer potential solutions to the political efficacy, but rather look at the results of the lack of turnout from the Apache region, and the same for Greece. That would be more interesting to me than offering a solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the idea! I agree that it would be interesting because the 2016 election has been seen as "The Revenge of the Rural Voter" as Politico terms it. And yet the turnout for Apache did not increase significantly, so exploring why that is, along with the effects it has, would be (I agree with you) the better path to take.

      Delete
  3. Hi Nicole, the stats about the Navajo voting behavior was really interesting, but you mentioned they have a large percentage of members under the age of 18, so do you think that is why they have low voting rates? Also who is Mr. Flak?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When voter turnout is calculated, it is based on the number of eligible voters who can participate in an election, so the number of people under 18 would not affect it.

      Mr. Flak (n.): see: mispronunciation of Mr. Flake

      Delete
  4. Hi Nicole! This post was particularly funny, so thanks for that! I don't think you need to mention a solution because it would be more interesting to identify correlations between the Navajo voting behavior and that of Athens, and the causes behind those connections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice! I think I'll end up taking it.

      Delete
  5. Hi Nicole,
    Your internship is turning out to be quite the experience! Do you think there is any effect of the multitude of young people in Apache county? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well they are the future, and so if any solution were to come, it would have to come from them.

      Delete
  6. Hi Nicole! This post was definitely the most amusing one out of all of them. I'm glad that your project has been going so well and I am really looking forward to seeing how your final post turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nicole! I really liked this post and it was interesting to read about your experience at Pride and at the Legislative Salute Dinner. What are some factors affecting rural voting that you are especially interested in looking into?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am essentially interested in looking at how geographic barriers (large distance, difficult access) affect voting because these were factors that affected the participation of rural citizens in ancient Athens as well.

      Delete
  8. Hey Nicole! Seems like your research about both the Navajo Nation and Ancient Greece is going smoothly. Hopefully you don't receive anymore calls about Sen. Flak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the thing that bothers me most is that I answer every call with: "Hello, thank you for calling Senator Flake's office. How can I help you?" I SAY HIS NAME!

      Delete
  9. NICOLE!!! Please tell me who Gov. Ducey was joking about because I know all the state congressmen and I already miss my srp. Also, I could use a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel terrible, but I can't remember. It was about someone paying to get their hair done.

      Delete